Every time when I am walking on the street, or standing at the platforms of the MRT stations, I find many people walk or wait with their earphones on. I really cannot imagine how they can manage to enjoy the music in such a noisy environment. I have tried to make walking on the road less boring by listening to the music but eventually I failed, or I had to turn up the volume until the MP3 player started to bomb my ear. Soon, I found even walking is not a simple task and I decided to keep my concentration on it, and I personally strongly agree that being absorbed in the cellphones or music players when walking or driving is absolutely dangerous.
As the science and technology develops, more and more new things are used to entertain people. However, all those inventors may not know that all these little things can be lethal. When people are walking and listening to the music, or driving and sending short messages, their alertness is lessened and with a high chance they may not see the sudden changes on the road and react accordingly in time. Sometimes it may only be a little ‘scary’, but most of the accidents are severe and may cause death. According to the figures from Traffic Police, the number of summonses issued for the use of cellphones while driving increased from 2,505 in 2007 to 2,583 last year. Needless to say, walking on the road with earphones on or sending SMS when driving are crazy habits.
Despite the fact that doing so has a higher chance to have road accidents, wearing earphone for too long time and turning the volume too high will hurt the ears and possibly will cause the loss of hearing. As the streets are noisy, it is impossible to listen to the music with a low volume. In fact, most of the pedestrians who wear earphones will turn the volume to 50 percent or more and it is definitely beyond the ability a human ear can afford. Also, Sending SMS will cost a lot more money than making a phone call. What is the point for people choosing a more complicated and more costly way to communicate?
To sum up, using iPod or MP3 player when walking, or sending SMS when driving are very dangerous, and they may also be harmful to one’s health. There’s no difference between doing so and enjoying in the danger. It is a stupid action and a crazy habit with no doubt.
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Zidong, your ERP is overdue
ReplyDelete