Monday, May 18, 2009

Teach Myself (ERP Assignment)

Q: 5 b) The author talks about role reversal between child and grandparent. Recall an incident in your life where your role was reversed and you had to be the adult or the teacher. Describe the incident in detail and reflect on the impact that had on you.

I can still remember the special punishment I received when I was in primary six. In fact, I would regard that punishment as a painless, proud and wonderful one. And I will feel nice whenever I talk about that experience.

While we were having a Math lesson one day, the teacher gave us five minutes for discussion within small groups. My friend, Ted and I exchanged our seat, during the time our Math teacher turned around her head and looked at others. Actually, seat exchanging is forbidden, especially during the lesson time. Seconds later, she turned around and found there were two seats on which were not sat by it real owner. She told me and Ted to stay back after class.

“I would like you to conduct a Math lesson for the next two times. Each of you is to have one lesson, but you can look for the other one’s help. Come to my office by this afternoon and I will tell you what to teach.” And she left, with our mouths wide opened behind.

On the next day, our dear Math teacher asked me if I had prepared for it, and whether I need Ted’s help. As I had known what to teach and I sacrificed a whole night preparing it, I told our teacher I was ready. It was my first time to give a lesson, seriously! “Come on, I believe you can.” My desk mate found I was nervous and she cheered me up.

I walked onto the stage; put my books on the teaching desk, while our Math teacher was sitting in my seat.

“Good morning, class!” I said loudly.

“Good morning, sir!” At that instance, I was nearly thrilled to die. I believed that no one would get the feeling of being told “Good morning, sir” unless he was really on the stage. That reply represented the respect and the trust of the entire class. They believe that I would teach them well and they regard me as “sir” though that address would expire right after the lesson was finished.

As most of my classmates could solve most problems well, the more time I spent was wandering around the classroom looking here and there, instead of talking hard to make my point clear. Sometimes some of my classmates might have problems, and they just raised their hand to ask me and I would be able to answer them right at the scene. I was so concentrated that I did not realize we were going fast, and only when the teacher called me to slow down did I know that we were already doing the last set of the practice questions fifteen minutes before the class was over. Some of the classmates talked and made a little noise from time to time, and I was the person stopped them, our Math teacher was acting just like a student.

Finally the bell rang. The students were so excited that they all had stood up before I said “Thank you, class.” Then the thundering plaudit swept over my head. At that time, it was no longer about how I took the punishment, nor was it about how my classmates learnt a lesson not to exchange seats in class. To my classmates, they had an innovative Math class because it was taught by their peer, and they got to know another me. While it was a step from a student to a teacher to me, and eventually I taught myself how important it was for students to cooperate with the teachers. Soaking in the applause, I told myself, “It was the last time I did not cooperate with teachers, I promise!”

No comments:

Post a Comment